Some personal thoughts:

Husband and I have just recovered (mostly) from Covid... no idea how we got it since we've been super careful and not done much. Shopping or swimming we think.

I am left grateful for masks & vaccines - here's why: 1/8

Firstly vaccines: having Covid sucked but I am sure it would have sucked much worse without being vaccinated. I am grateful that I had the chance to get that protection first.

I'm annoyed that I got sick a few weeks before my booster was due, but that's life. 2/8

Secondly masks: the first symptoms were so innocuous it was only obvious later what they were. I was 100% convinced we didn't have Covid cos we'd been so careful.

The weekend before symptoms and 1st day of, we were in *a lot* of shops.
3/8

We wore masks the whole time - v few others were. Mainly tbh, to protect ourselves (obv too late by then), but also cos we thought it's right to do even tho we thought we were fine.

I am so so glad we did - I hope it means that we didn't give Covid to anyone that weekend. 4/8

It really brought home the "wear a mask to protect others" thing to me.

You never know if it's you. It was me and I had no idea.

5/8

I might have given it to a friend tho who came to our house for a chat 2 days before my symptoms. We sat about 1m apart & chatted for an hour.

You are more likely to transmit with people you know, cos less likely to be masked and interact longer. 6/8

As for me - I had cough, fever, muscle aches, runny nose, loss of taste/smell (about 5 days in). Over 2 weeks later, only cough remains.

I feel lucky to have got off relatively lightly, but it's not fun. I hope we both avoid long covid.

7/8

So my takeaways are:

- get vaccinated.
- get boosted
- wear a mask indoors in public spaces
- open windows when people in your home
- and do these things to protect others as much or more than yourself

and I wish Covid wasn't so prevalent that it was so easy to catch! 8/8

PS for those interested, we did 2 LFDs "just in case". My husband was strong positive, I was negative. Since we had same symptoms I assumed I was +ve too. We did PCR same day & both tests came back positive.
We isolated for full time. Test & trace were good at checking we were.